Types of businesses in the construction industry range from businesses and tradespeople providing services directly to consumers, other building and construction businesses and government. Projects vary in size from large construction and infrastructure projects to smaller, domestic projects that include:

  • residential and non-residential construction
  • renovations and extensions
  • building structure services
  • installation services
  • heavy and civil engineering
  • land development
  • site preparation

The construction industry is Victoria’s largest full-time employer and is primarily made up of small businesses. 93% of the 127,381 building and construction businesses in Victoria are either sole traders, or businesses hiring up to four employees.

(Source: ABS,CABEE 2022)

Construction industry regulators

Regulatory bodies have a responsibility to help businesses and tradespeople understand and meet their construction sector registration, licensing and renewal responsibilities. To achieve accreditation, plumbing, electrical and building practitioners in Victoria are required to hold a licence or be registered with the relevant regulator for their trade.

Guidance from regulators will make it easier for electricians, plumbers, building practitioners and group employers to understand their regulatory requirements.

  • Energy Safe Victoria (ESV): Victoria’s safety regulator for electricity, gas and pipelines — an independent government agency responsible for the safe generation, supply and use of electricity, gas and pipelines. ESV also provides information on electrical licences, training and assessments.

  • Environment Protection Authority (EPA): Victoria’s environmental regulator. EPA works with businesses, industry and the community to prevent and reduce the harmful effects of pollution and waste on Victorians and their environment.

  • Victorian Building Authority (VBA): Victoria’s regulator for the building and plumbing industries. You can also find information on becoming a registered building practitioner, or a registered or licensed plumber.

  • WorkSafe: Victoria’s workplace health and safety regulator. Worksafe is also the workplace injury insurer – its role is to reduce workplace injury insurer – its role is to reduce workplace harm and improve outcomes for injured workers.

Know your licensing and registration requirements

To practice some trades in Victoria, you need to be registered. Your registration gives you the right to practice, and shows people you are qualified, skilled, and experienced to do the job.

Follow the links below for information about licences and registration in plumbing, building and electrical trades.

Plumbing registration

To lawfully carry out plumbing within Victoria, apply for a plumbing registration and licence at the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) website.

Building practitioner registration

The VBA is the regulator for building activity in Victoria. Categories of building practitioner include:

  • Building Surveyor
  • Building Inspector
  • Quantity Surveyor
  • Draftsperson
  • Project Manager (Domestic)
  • Erector or Supervisor
  • Builder (Commercial, Domestic, Demolisher)

Register to become a building practitioner on the VBA website.

Electrical licences

Energy Save Victoria (ESV) is responsible for licensing and registering all electricians and electrical tradespersons in Victoria. This is a legal requirement to undertake electrical work in Victoria. Register on the ESV website.

General information

General information on apprenticeships and traineeships can be found on the Victorian Registration & Qualifications Authority (VRQA) webpage.