Bushfire recovery for business

Support, services and information for businesses affected by and recovering from Victorian bushfires can vary based on the specific nature and location of the event.

This page will be regularly updated with new information as it becomes available.

Emergency services and immediate assistance


VicEmergency is a centralised website for Victorians to find emergency information and warnings. You can also access preparedness and recovery information related to emergencies.

Visit the VicEmergency website.

Download the VicEmergency app at the Apple App store for iOS or Google Play for Android.

Victorian State Emergency Services (VICSES)

Victoria State Emergency Service (VICSES) is a volunteer-based organisation that provides emergency assistance to minimise the impact of emergencies and strengthen the community’s ability to plan, respond and recover when emergencies occur.

VICSES can provide emergency services for flood, storm, and landslides after bushfires. For emergency assistance call VICSES on 132 500.

The VICSES website has information to help you plan and stay safe during emergencies, how to become a VICSES volunteer, as well as educational activities and hazard information.

Visit the Victoria State Emergency Service (VICSES) website.


BlazeAid is a volunteer-based organisation that works with families and individuals in rural Australia after natural disasters such as fires and floods. Working alongside the rural families, volunteers help to rebuild fences and other structures that have been damaged or destroyed.

Visit the BlazeAid website.

Air quality monitoring

If you or your employees are required to work outside or travel during times of bushfire, smoke from fires can affect air quality and provide a health and safety risk.

Environment Protection Authority (EPA) Victoria provides information on air quality in your region and across the state.

For information about Victoria’s air quality, see the EPA AirWatch webpage.

Road closures

Bushfires may lead to road closures. Find the latest information on the VicTraffic website.

Emergency Recovery Victoria

Emergency Recover Victoria (ERV) is a permanent and dedicated agency that leads state and regional recovery coordination, and state relief, on behalf of the Victorian Government.

For more details, visit the ERV website.

Local council support

Your local council will have bushfire response, relief and recovery information specific to your local government area.

Business and industry support

Small Business Mentoring Service

Small Business Mentoring Service (SBMS) is an incorporated not-for-profit association that provides mentoring and business recovery advice to small business.

To book a session call 1300 816 817 or visit the SBMS website.

SBMS also offers a free ebook to support all businesses that have faced a disaster in the past, are responding  to a current disaster or who wish to prepare in order to mitigate risks for the future.

Download your copy of Are U Ready? Surviving a Small Business Disaster.

Agriculture Victoria

Agriculture Victoria has information on bushfire preparation and recovery including a free fire toolkit and a list of emergency contacts.

Learn more on the Bushfires section of the Agriculture Victoria website.

Regional Development Victoria

Regional Development Victoria (RDV)  offices located across regional Victoria are a local contact point for businesses wanting to access the programs and services provided by RDV. RDV offices can also provide information about other government services, grants and contacts that may assist regional businesses and organisations.

Visit the RDV website.

Victorian Chamber of Commerce and Industry

The Victorian Small Business Commission (VSBC) is available to help with any issues that may arise with business contracts including retail leases.

The VSBC can help small business owners  resolve disputes quickly and at no cost. Examples of support include providing early help or arranging mediation where there is a dispute over a retail lease or where a business may not have been paid for the goods and services they supplied.

Phone: 1800 878 964
Email: enquiries@vsbc.vic.gov.au
Visit the VSBC website.

Insurance claims and disputes

Talk to your insurance company as soon as possible about how to make a claim. The contact numbers for major insurers are:

During disasters, the Insurance Council of Australia (ICA) disaster hotline may be activated to assist policyholders if they are uncertain of their insurance details or have general inquiries about the claims process. (Please note: this is not a claims lodgement service). For information during disasters, check the ICA media releases.

Articles with practical information on what to do during and after a disaster can be found on the Insurance Council of Australia website.

Financial support

The following organisations have support available for financial hardships after a fire. Major banks and some small banks also provide assistance.

  • Australian Securities and Investment Commission Fee Relief
  • Australian Taxation Office - deferrals for lodgements and in payments due  to businesses in affected postcodes.
  • Centrelink/Department of Human Services crisis and special help assistance .
  • Financial Crisis Support  – links to immediate assistance for individuals including accommodation, food and clothing and a Personal Hardship Assistance Program.
  • Rural Financial Counselling Service

Mental health support

If your business has been affected by bushfire, it is important to look after your mental health as well as your physical wellbeing.

For immediate support, the Partners in Wellbeing helpline (1300 375 330) offers free and confidential assistance to business owners. Trained financial counsellors, business advisers, and wellbeing coaches are ready to provide one-on-one assistance today.

Additionally, you can explore a wide range of tools, resources, and information on our Workplace Wellbeing Hub.

Other resources