Benefits of email marketing
Email newsletters build trust and promote long and ongoing relationships with existing customers by keeping your business in front of your customer base. Email marketing also enables you to communicate with your customers in a way that's immediate, relevant and cost-effective.
With the right content you can deepen your relationship with your customers through:
- effective subject line writing – getting your messages opened
- your distinctive voice – getting your messages read
- delivering quality content your customers can share with others – by word-of-mouth.
Best practice email marketing
A general rule is to keep your design and copy minimal.
You should also:
- make sure you get permission – for example, offer opt-in subscription at your shop
- match your email to your brand – include your company logo and colours
- integrate a link to the web version of your newsletter that's somewhere easy to see.
Designing your emails
Ensure that your user's experience is a good one by:
- keeping the design clean and simple
- designing the email template so it's readable for mobile users
- optimising your layout for the email preview panel.
Writing email content
When writing the editorial copy you should:
- use short sentences and make your call to action clear, avoiding passive words
- build a relationship – ensure you write for people, not for robots
- try to ask questions and encourage a response.
It's worth thinking ahead about what your subscribers would like to read and scheduling your updates in a content marketing plan.