Hi, I'm Umi.

I'm a kid with a dream - to be a movie star!

If you want to employ a child for any advertising or entertainment purposes, and we're under 15 years of age, you'll need a permit.

There are a number of things you need to know before you're given a Child Employment Permit, especially when it comes to risk management.

A Child Employment Officer needs to know that the health, safety, education, moral and material welfare of a child, like moi, is being satisfied.

It is not sufficient to simply supply a page of a script.

As an employer, you must provide details of proposed actions of the child, any risks associated with these actions, and an explanation of how those risks will be managed.

When you ask yourself the right questions, it will be easy to know what the risks are and how to respond to them, and you'll prove the work is safe.

If you need some help, you can always speak to my friends, the Child Employment Officers.

They're really smart and will make sure you're well looked after.

Just go to business.vic.gov.au/childemployment

Or call 1800 278 278

Got it? Good.

Now, if you need me, I'll be in my trailer.

Supporting documents for the entertainment and advertising industries

This page provides an example of supporting documents that may be requested by child employment officers – and should be the basis for all Permit applications.


Details that may be asked for:

  1. Script, storyboard, layout and scenario
  2. Details of the role of the children
  3. Identification of risks associated with the employment
  4. Potential supervisors and valid Working with Children Checks
  5. Details of client
  6. Details of the nature of the work including talent age groups, number of children, what is required of the children in the script, size of production, will safety report be required, how many talent are lead, features or extras
  7. Schedule draft including proposed dates for casting walk-ons, screen tests (call-backs), wardrobe fittings, rehearsals, shoots, sound recording sessions.

Production commences

Details that may be asked for:

  1. Details of the other parties – including photographer, production company, casting agent, sound studios
  2. Details of the actual shoot – including location, shoot date and proposed number of hours for each child
  3. A safety report, names and ages of lead talent if available at this stage
  4. Actual times for wardrobe fittings
  5. Confirmation that applications for Child Employment Permits have been submitted

Hi, I'm Umi.

I'm a kid with a dream - to be a movie star. I'm under 15 years of age, so if I'm going to work in entertainment there's a few things we all need to know.

Whether you're an employer, mum or dad, school principal, or another rising star, we need to know about the Child Employment Act and Mandatory Code of Practice for the Employment of Children in Entertainment.

The Act is designed to help kids, like me, be able to do the work we love while still being safe and well looked after. The Code tells us what work is appropriate and explains stuff like rest breaks and tutoring requirements.

The main thing to know is that an employer will need a permit before a child can start work, whether paid or unpaid. To get the permit,
there's a straightforward process, but it's important you follow all the steps.

Step one - speak with the parent or guardian.  Inform them about the role, gain their permission, and gather important information.

Step two - make sure parents and guardians gain permission from a school principal if time off school is needed. It's up to the principal to tell
the employer what's necessary to ensure the student's tutoring is topnotch.

Step three - go online and fill out the application. Once you understand the process, you'll see it's super easy
to employ children. And the good news is, the permits are free.

If you need some help, you can always speak to my friends, the Child Employment Officers. They're really smart and will make sure you're well looked after.

Remember, the Act and the Code are here to make sure everyone wins.

To learn more, go to business.vic.gov.au/childemployment

Or call: 1800 287 287

OK, I'm ready for my close-up.

Maybe not THAT close!

Shoot details confirmed

Be ready to provide:

  1. Confirmation of all other details previously provided
  2. Child employment forms
  3. Actual call times and hours of work for each child
  4. Confirmation of locations
  5. Safety Report – if not provided earlier
  6. Travel arrangements for children

Further work

If you're using children for further work, you'll need to provide:

  1. A call sheet with specific dates and times
  2. Notification to child employment officers of the new date shooting is to be made if the original date is weather interrupted
  3. A variation to the permit – to do this, you'll need to apply for variations to the code via the Child Employment Portal, or use our form we've provided below

Get help with child employment

If you own, are looking to purchase, or start a small business with under 20 employees, you may be eligible for our Child Employment Small Business Information Service (CESBIS).

CESBIS offers one-on-one information and advice regarding your responsibilities under the Victoria Child Employment Act.

To access this program, contact Wage Inspectorate Victoria.

Phone or email us for more information

Wage Inspectorate Victoria is responsible for monitoring compliance with the Child Employment Act 2003.

For further assistance and advice about employing children in Victoria, speak to a Wage Inspectorate officer by calling the Information Line on 1800 287 287, or email childemployment@wageinspectorate.vic.gov.au.

We value your opinion

We welcome any feedback, comments and suggestions you might like to share.

You also have the option to make an anonymous report if you suspect someone is breaking the rules relating to child employment but you don’t want to provide personal information.