Understanding business costs
Our rates and costs schedules set out the typical costs of running an owner driver business based on the type of vehicle a driver operates. They include variable costs such as fuel and tyres, and fixed costs such as registration, finance and insurance.
Owner drivers can use the schedules to get a better understanding of:
- the factors that affect operating costs
- the amount they could expect to earn as an employee doing the same kind of work
Rates and costs schedules do not set minimum rates of pay. They aim to help owner drivers and hirers understand the typical operating costs of an owner driver business. Owner drivers and hirers can use the schedules to assess whether an offer of work will:
- cover their operating costs
- provide a good return for the driver's labour
- provide a good return on the owner driver’s investment
Specific rates and costs schedules are also available for the tip truck sector.
Obligation to provide schedules
Hirers that engage an owner driver for 30 days or more (or for a total period of at least 30 days in any 3-month period) are required to provide the owner driver with the rates and costs schedule that relates to their vehicle.
The relevant schedule must be given:
- at least 3 business days before the owner driver is engaged, if the contract will be for a period of at least 30 days; or
- on the 30th day, if the owner driver is engaged for a total period of at least 30 days in any three-month period.
A hirer must also provide any new versions of the relevant rates and costs schedules published by the Victorian Government to owner drivers as soon as possible after publication.
If an owner driver is engaged through a freight broker, then the freight broker must provide the relevant schedule.
These requirements also apply to tender situations.
2023-24 rates and costs schedules
- 1 Tonne Van, Courier/Messenger 2023-24 (PDF 197.02 KB)
- 1 Tonne Van, Courier/Messenger 2023-24 (DOCX 211.67 KB)
- 1 Tonne Vehicle – General Freight 2023-24 (PDF 200.28 KB)
- 1 Tonne Vehicle – General Freight 2023-24 (DOCX 211.42 KB)
- 4.5 Tonne Rigid Vehicle (GVM) 2023-24 (PDF 194.84 KB)
- 4.5 Tonne Rigid Vehicle (GVM) 2023-24 (DOCX 211.01 KB)
- 8 Tonne Rigid Vehicle (GVM) 2023-24 (PDF 192.89 KB)
- 8 Tonne Rigid Vehicle (GVM) 2023-24 (DOCX 211.21 KB)
- 12 Tonne Rigid Vehicle (GVM) (2-axle) 2023-24 (PDF 195.53 KB)
- 12 Tonne Rigid Vehicle (GVM) (2-axle) 2023-24 (DOCX 211.79 KB)
- Prime Mover (Bogie Drive) 2023-24 (PDF 200.19 KB)
- Prime Mover (Bogie Drive) 2023-24 (DOCX 210.61 KB)
- Semi-Trailer (Bogie Drive, 6 axle) 2023-24 (PDF 193.31 KB)
- Semi-Trailer (Bogie Drive, 6 axle) 2023-24 (DOCX 210.47 KB)
Wage Inspectorate Victoria
Wage Inspectorate Victoria is responsible for monitoring compliance with the Owner Drivers and Forestry Contractors Act 2005.