What is the Victorian Accommodation Support Program?
As part of the Victorian Government’s $143.2 million Circuit Breaker Support Package, the $16.2 million Victorian Accommodation Support Program will directly support tourism accommodation providers who experienced cancellations and provided full refunds as a result of the circuit breaker restrictions to limit the spread of COVID-19 announced on 12 February 2021.
What support is available through the Victorian Accommodation Support Program?
Two tiers of support are available to accommodation providers:
- Tier 1: Funding of $2,250 (ex GST) per Accommodation Premises experiencing 10 or fewer cancelled nights.
- Tier 2: Funding of $4,500 (ex GST) per Accommodation Premises with 11 or more cancelled nights.
The support is available to accommodation providers in Victoria.
How much total support is available through the program?
A total of $16.2 million is available for impacted tourism accommodation providers in Victoria.
How is the final grant amount calculated for a tourism accommodation provider?
The grant amount is based on the number of cancelled nights at the Accommodation Premises.
- Example A: A hotel has cancelled bookings for 10 rooms for 2 nights each = 20 cancelled nights (eligible for $4,500).
- ExampleB: A bed and breakfast has cancelled bookings for 2 rooms for 3 nights each = 6 cancelled nights (eligible for $2,250).
- Example C: A caravan park has cancelled bookings for 8 sites for 2 nights each = 16 cancelled nights (eligible for $4,500).
- Example D: A private holiday rental house (regardless of the number of rooms) has 1 cancelled booking for 3 nights = 3 cancelled nights (eligible for $2,250).
- Example E: A school camp or large group booking for 75 beds for 2 nights = 150 cancelled nights (eligible for $4,500).
What type of businesses are eligible to apply?
Any Victorian tourism accommodation provider in Victoria can apply if they experienced booking cancellations as a result of the circuit breaker restrictions to limit the spread of COVID-19 announced on 12 February 2021.
- a private holiday house/flat rental (regardless of number of rooms)
- a room in a bed and breakfast
- a self-contained apartment
- a room in a motel or hotel
- a cabin (regardless of number of rooms)
- a room in a lodge that is available to the general public
- a cabin or a caravan in a caravan park
- a bookable campsite, including in a caravan park
- a houseboat
- a guest room in a guesthouse
- a bed or room in a hostel
- a school camp or large group accommodation
- a farm stay
- defined camping sites
- other types of accommodation at the discretion of the Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions.
The support is available to accommodation providers in greater Melbourne and regional Victoria.
How can a tourism accommodation provider with multiple locations apply for the grant?
One application may be made for each eligible premises located at a unique property address. An eligible accommodation provider with multiple accommodation premises at different locations in Victoria, each with its own address, must make separate applications for each location.
Each application must include all associated cancelled booking claims for the specific premises. For example, a motel premises with five rooms should submit one application that covers all the cancelled rooms.
How many times may a tourism accommodation provider apply?
One application may be made for each eligible accommodation premises at a unique property address owned or operated by the accommodation provider.
What type of businesses are not eligible to apply?
Tourism accommodation providers that hire out caravans, camp trailers or tents, and similar businesses that hire out movable accommodation are not eligible for funding under this program. Businesses providing accommodation solely for non-humans are also not eligible.
There are additional business support programs available through the Circuit Breaker Action Business Support Package.
What are the key dates for applying?
The program is now open for applications until 11:59pm on 16 March 2021.
What booking dates are covered by the program?
The program covers booking cancellations made for stays within the period of 1:30pm on 12 February to 11:59 pm on 17 February 2021 as a result of the circuit breaker restrictions announced on 12 February 2021.
Does the support program include bookings where stays have been cut short by the circuit breaker action?
Yes. If a guest cut short their stay and they received a full refund for the remaining nights, accommodation providers are eligible to apply for support for these cancelled bookings.
Does the support program include bookings made outside the set dates but impacted by uncertainty?
No. The program only covers cancellations for stays within the period of 1:30 pm on 12 February to 11:59pm on 17 February 2021 as a result of the circuit breaker restrictions to limit the spread of COVID-19 announced on 12 February 2021.
We encourage accommodation providers to work with customers to rebook their accommodation for a later date.
What evidence do I need to supply with my application?
Applicants must attest that they meet the eligibility criteria at the time of application and are continuing to trade in providing accommodation premises.
Applicants must provide evidence of the cancelled booking through the provision of the following:
- occupancy report; and
- cancellation report, or other record of cancellation.
Applicants must also provide an up-to-date ABN relevant to the business or have an accommodation booking agent (or similar) with an ABN apply on their behalf.
Who administers the program?
The Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions administers the program on behalf of the Victorian Government.
How has the Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions ensured the integrity of applications?
Applicants may be subject to an audit by the Victorian Government or its representatives and will be required to produce evidence (such as receipts) at the request of the Victorian Government for a period of 4 years after the grant has been approved. The Victorian Government will conduct any full audits after the program closes.
Can I apply for this program if I have received support through the Business Cost Assistance Program?
Yes, but if businesses receive funding under the Business Cost Assistance Program, their grant funding under this Victorian Accommodation Support Program will be reduced to:
- Tier 1: Funding of $250 (ex GST) per tourism accommodation premises experiencing 10 or fewer cancelled nights; or
- Tier 2: Funding of $2,500 (ex GST) per tourism accommodation premises with 11 or more cancelled nights.
Tourism accommodation providers who receive support through the Victorian Licensed Hospitality Venue Fund circuit breaker lockdown grant will be eligible to apply for a grant, and the funding amount will be as normal.
How can I apply?
Applications for this program closed on 16 March 2021.
How long will you take to process my application?
We will endeavour to notify all applicants of the outcome of their submitted application within 20 business days after the program closes on 16 March 2021.
It may take longer to process your application if:
- you submit incorrect documentation
- your application needs to be returned to you for amendments
- you submit more than one application for the same business
- you entered incorrect details on the application form – for example, an incorrect ABN or banking details.
How can I find out the status of my application?
Your application will appear in the Business Victoria Grants Portal with one of five statuses:
- Draft – you have started an application
- Submitted – you have accepted the terms and conditions and submitted your application
- Under assessment – Business Victoria has received and is assessing your application
- Successful – your application was successful
- Unsuccessful – your application was unsuccessful.
After you submit your application, you will receive notifications about its progress.
Can I seek a review if my application is deemed unsuccessful?
If you feel your application has been incorrectly assessed against the eligibility criteria, you can request a review of your application by contacting Business Victoria or calling the Business Victoria hotline on 13 22 15.
Where can I view the program guidelines?
To view program guidelines, visit the program page.
What if I need any further assistance?
For further assistance please contact us or call the Business Victoria hotline on 13 22 15.