The third round of the mRNA Victoria Research Acceleration Fund program (mVRAF Program) is being launched by mRNA Victoria, a business unit within the Department of Jobs, Skills, Industry and Regions (DJSIR) as part of the Victorian Government’s investment to grow mRNA capability in the state. The mVRAF Program is designed to capitalise on Victoria’s comparative advantages in research, increase the RNA candidate pipeline of next generation vaccines and therapies and enhance the Victorian economy by growing the RNA ecosystem.
This third round of the mVRAF Program fund will provide $1.7 million to support and accelerate RNA-based therapeutics research through the provision of one-off grants to successful applicants.
Two tiers will be offered under this round of the mVRAF Program, these are:
- ‘Tier 1’ for early-stage research projects
- ‘Tier 2’ for fast-tracking the translation of research into health and economic outcomes.
The mVRAF Program is designed to complement the Victorian Government’s existing Victorian Medical Research Acceleration Fund by providing a dedicated funding stream for RNA-based therapeutics projects. Projects submitted to the mVRAF Program will not be eligible to be submitted to the Victorian Medical Research Acceleration Fund.
mRNA Victoria and the Department of Jobs, Skills, Industry and Regions (DJSIR) will administer this program.
Who can apply?
- Eligibility criteria 1 – hold an active ABN, lead and perform the majority of research activity in Victoria. See program guidelines for more information.
- Eligibility criteria 2 – co-contribution required - 1:1 matched co-contribution required (either financial or in-kind). Grant funding under this third round of the mVRAF Program will be provided on the basis that Applicants provide a 1:1 matched co-contribution in the form of either a financial or in-kind contribution (Co-contribution). See program guidelines for eligible co-contributions.
- Eligibility criteria 3 – collaborative partner requirement - an Applicant is required to collaborate with at least one other organisation. Organisations based outside of Australia are eligible to be collaborative partners, providing the majority of the research activities will be led from and conducted in Victoria. See program guidelines for more information.
For the full list of eligibility criteria, please see the program guidelines.
What you get
The third round of the mVRAF Program will provide $1.7 million total (excluding GST) of funding across the two tiers as follows:
Available grant funding per project
Tier 1 – Early Stage
Early-stage innovative research proposals for projects that demonstrate potential for translation at a later stage.
Up to $100,000 (GST exclusive)
Tier 2 – Fast track
‘Fast track’ translation of research to products into clinical trials.
Up to $500,000 (GST exclusive)
DJSIR Grant agreement
Applications selected for funding will need to enter into a DJSIR Grant Agreement in order to receive the grant payment. A blank copy of the DJSIR Standard Grant Agreement Template is available here for information only.
Note that the final version of the Grant Agreement will be subject to change.
How to apply
Applicants will need to complete the application form, including providing a detailed project budget and provide responses against the assessment criteria, compile all necessary supporting documents and complete all required attestations.